The holidays are over, resolutions set and it’s time to start making the most of the New Year. So why is my Christmas tree still up? The most recent excuse, er reason, is that it gets dark so early and the tree gives much needed light!
As you might have guessed my tree is fake. It came in 3 easy-to-assemble parts with the lights strategically placed for maximum sparkle. No trying to remember to water it every day. No dropping needless to clog the vacuum. No critters popping out. No wrestling the beast to the curb.
So what’s this got to do with preventing mold? It’s the remembering part. I always forgot to water the tree. That’s why I switched to a faux tree. Why is it so hard to remember to water the tree?! The same reason its so hard to remember to change the filter in the air conditioner. We all know it’s important to change the A/C filter: it catches dust, pet dander, mold and all sorts of nasty stuff. We know that when the filter gets clogged, the A/C works harder and costs us more money in electricity and shortens the life of the unit. Maybe it’s the myriad other things we’re trying to do to keep up with life. Maybe we just lose track of time (George says I’m “chronologically challenged” which I guess is the politically correct term). Regardless of the cause, every so often I open the closet, see a new filter then wonder, “when was the last time I changed that A/C filter?”
So, my New Year’s resolution is to make it easy by setting a reminder on my phone. Now, on the 10th of every month, my phone chimes then prods me “change A/C filter today!” No matter what type of calendar you prefer there’s a simple solution:
- Paper calendar? Pick a date then write “A/C filter” on that day every month
- Outlook or desktop calendar? Set a recurring monthly task. Choose start and stop dates, or let it go indefinitely.
- Smart phone calendar? There’s an app for that! Hundreds, in fact. Most are free and many offer voice commands so you don’t even have to type. If you’re not sure how to set it up, find a teenager. They’ll have it up and running in 30 seconds flat!
- iPhone calendar? Just tell SIRI. She’ll ask if you want to repeat the task and how often, then dutifully remind you just in time.
- Still using the “my spouse will remember” calendar? As Dr. Phil would say, “How’s that workin’ for ya?”
If you’re here seasonally, the monthly reminder can help ensure that you’re A/C service company or house watch person is getting the job done each month. So, join me in the quest: use tech tools to keep your home healthy in 2015.