I can’t smell or see any mold, but my spouse smells it. Could we have mold in our home?

George says: It’s common for one spouse or family member to smell mold when others don’t. Some people are more sensitive to mold, chemicals and odors than others. This is especially true if they have asthma, allergies, MCS, COPD…or just a sensitive sniffer! Keep in mind there is a difference between having mold in your home and having a mold problem in your home. Mold spores live around us, indoors and out, naturally. Mold is useful to us when it breaks down organisms into smaller ones to return to the earth and nourish it. Mold also contributes to medicine (e.g. Penicillin) and foods we enjoy (e.g. cheese) and plant life needed to sustain us (e.g. pollination). It’s only when mold gets out of control that we have a problem with it. My first suggestion is to check for water leaks. If you know you have a roof leak and haven’t repaired it, you could have a problem. If you can’t find any source of water, call us to for a thorough inspection. One of the tools we use to find hidden leaks is an infrared camera which uses detects temperature differences which often signal water or air leaks which are not visible to the naked eye.

Back to top of page

Comments are closed.